CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sunday, April 15, 2012- OstBevern

Sunday was a great day in OstBevern! My sister, Whitney told Viola that I sang via Facebook. I was always in church choir and was in the choir during high school. I've always had a huge passion for music and singing. When I went away to WKU I was no longer a part of any musical group. So, I turned to a guitar and writing music on my own. Needless to say, the passion for writing, singing, and playing music was pushed aside as my school work began getting harder and requiring more time as the years went by. That emptiness of music has now be fulfilled!

On Sunday Viola and some of her women's choir had rehearsal for an upcoming wedding here in Germany. I was excited to listen to them rehearse. Viola is SO talented. She is a music teacher and choir director here. When she plays the piano and sings you can see the passion for music in her eyes. I wish I could play the piano like her and her son Aladin. He is amazing as well. The ladies arrived at the house in the afternoon and one lady in particular kept me laughing. She is one of those people that laughs and makes everyone laugh, it's contagious! They were all very sweet! I noticed my name come up in conversation. I turned to see if I could understand any of the words they were speaking in German. Then, in English they asked if I wanted to sing. Viola had told them I was a singer! I was hesitant at first because it had been so long! I didn't even know if I could sight sing anymore. So, I followed them to the piano and we began warm ups. Within the first five minutes I was so excited! I'm half a world away from home yet the music wasn't much different. Music is a beautiful thing no matter where you are! After warming up we began singing the song "I can't help falling in love with you". You Kentuckians may know this song from the Elvis days! At least that's how I knew the song! After the first song, I realized I wasn't just rehearsing with them...I would be singing with them...in a wedding! I was so surprised that I would be taking part in this. But why wouldn't I? I mean how many people study abroad and get to sing in a German wedding?! Count me in :) We will also be singing "An Irish Blessing" which is a beautiful song that I was not familiar with. The ladies stayed for a few hours and I got to know them fairly well. It was so much fun and I felt like part of the group! I am so happy I get to be a part of this special event!

After the ladies left, I came upstairs to my room and relaxed for a little while before dinner. Then, I Skyped my family! I miss them very much! I'm very surprised I'm not homesick. I haven't even cried once, which is huge for me! I'm a big ole' sap! Although I'm missing them, I feel like I am forming a second family here with Viola and the boys. They make me feel so at home and for that, I am so thankful!

Here is a picture of Viola and I that her father took:

This concludes my first Sunday Funday in OstBevern :)

Till' Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment